It's a summer news quiz!
1. Although he has been coy about whether he will run for governor, Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton recently said he could do whose job?
a. The guy who towels the sweat off Bob Dylan's brow at concerts.
b. The guy inside the bratwurst costume at Milwaukee Brewers sausage races.
c. The guy who talks to little kids in AT&T commercials.
d. The guy who hosts "Catfish — The TV Show," an MTV reality program in which people who have fallen in love online finally meet one another.
2. The University of Connecticut recently revealed that — despite the fact that it is 2013 — it does not have:
a. A strong position on whether people of different races can use the same drinking fountains.
b. A policy forbidding professors from having sex with their students.
c. Jim Calhoun's forwarding address.
d. Certainty that early humans did not ride dinosaurs.
3. This summer, state Senate President Pro Tem Don Williams abruptly canceled:
a. A trip to Morocco "Under the High Patronage of His Majesty The Kling Mohammed VI."
b. A Brazilian wax, "after I found out what that really was."
c. His unicycle act on "America's Got Talent."
d. His boozy threat to punch out pollster Nate Silver.
4. Journalists found "black mold, urine and crack bags" in
a. The improperly parked BMW of state commissioner Joette Katz
b. A taco cart operated by former East Haven mayor Joseph Maturo.
c. One of many dilapidated building operated by the family of New Haven mayoral candidate Toni Harp.
d. The hair of Al Terzi.
5. Toad's Place in New Haven is facing pressure to cancel an Aug. 6 appearance by musician Ted Nugent. Which of the following statements did Nugent NOT make?
a. That rappers on MTV are "big uneducated greasy black mongrels."
b. That Trayvon Martin was a "a dope-smoking racist gangsta wannabe," an "enraged black man-child" and a "Skittles hoodie boy."
c. That President Obama should "suck on my machine gun."
d. That he cannot possibly be a racist because his bass player is a black man.
6. Gov. Dannel P. Malloy recently said he doesn't "expect to have any political capital lying around on any given day, week, month, year, term." Possible confirmation of this came when:
a. He was lustily booed at a minor league baseball game.
b. He was elbowed by the Chorizo in a Milwaukee Brewers sausage race.
c. His photo was sprayed with cleaning liquid by Justin Bieber during the latter's July 18 appearance in Hartford
d. One of the monsters who emerges from an inter-dimensional portal in "Pacific Rim" was named "Dannel."
7. U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro told NowThisNews.com she likes to listen, "with the radio blaring" to
a. "Rich As F—K" by Lil Wayne and Two Chains.
b. Anything by Ted Nugent
c. "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto" by Styx
d. "If I Had a Hammer" by Peter, Paul and Mary
8. Officials of the state Department of Economic Development have NOT had to defend themselves recently against charges that they:
a. Hired their own children for lucrative summer jobs.
b. Used private chauffeured car and limousine services for routine business travel.
c. Stockpiled propane for unexplained reasons right before an unbreakable dome covered Chester.
9. Exciting former U.S. Senate candidate Lee Whitnum made news in recent months when she
a. Was twice arrested for allegedly harassing her husband.
b. Unsuccessfully sought a recount of her petition signatures for the 2014 ballot.
c. Asked to be placed on the 2016 Senate ballot as a consolation prize.
d. Sent risqué texts under the pseudonym Carlos Danger.
ANSWERS AND DISCUSSION . 1 (d) Boughton live tweeted during "Catfish" that he could take the place of Nev Schulman, the host. 2 (b) In UConn's defense, when has this ever been a problem? 3. (a) 4. (c) 5. He made all of them, unfortunately. 6. (a) Malloy was booed by fans who won't boo a team that's 16.5 games back in the standings. 7. (d) So does that make her more of a hipster? Or less? 8. (c) and 9 all of them except (d)