By ROSA CICCIO | Hartford Courant ORIGINS: Originally part of Stratford, the town took its current form over a period of years.In 1725, residents in a northern part of town later called Nichols Farm petitioned for and were granted "village privileges" from the General Assembly. The village, or parish, was named Unity. Later, it joined with the neighboring parish of Long Hill and the two were united under the name North Stratford. The area was incorporated as Trumbull, a separate town, in 1797. NAME: After Jonathan Trumbull (2nd), governor of Connecticut from 1797 to 1809 and son of Jonathan Trumbull, governor of Connecticut during the Revolutionary War. DID YOU KNOW: Trumbull was once home to one of the country's first amusement parks. Parlor Rock was a popular destination in the late 19th and early 20th centuries , providing such attractions as a carousel, a roller skating rink and toboggan slide in the winter. The Trumbull Little League baseball team won the Little League World Series in 1989. The Trumbull High School Golden Eagle Marching Band performed in the 2001 inaugural parade for President George W. Bush and the 2009 inaugural parade for President Barack Obama. FAMOUS RESIDENTS: Benjamin Silliman, Yale's first chemistry and natural history professor, for whom the university's Silliman College is named. SOURCES: Hartford Courant; trumbullhistory.org; yale.edu; 1942 State Register and Manual.
Copyright © 2018, CT Now