By TINA BACHETTI | Hartford Courant HOW IT GOT ITS NAME: Settled in 1686 by people from Roxbury, Mass., the area was first named New Roxbury. The name was changed in honor of Woodstock, England, in 1690 by Judge Samuel Sewall, one of nine judges who presided over the Salem Witch Trials in 1692. Sewall later apologized for his role in condemning 20 people to death for witchcraft. Woodstock remained a part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony until 1749, when it was annexed by Connecticut. PALMER ARBORETUM: Founded in 1914 by Minnie Palmer Dean, this botanical park on Route 169 in Woodstock includes several trees dating back to 1914 or 1916, including a large purple beach. Plants at the arboretum include mountain laurel, azaleas, American sweetgum, and Hoop's blue spruce. WOODSTOCK FAIR: One of the oldest agricultural fairs in the state, the Woodstock Fair will celebrate its 151st anniversary on Sept. 2 to 5. The fairgrounds are at 281 Route 169, Woodstock. Information: woodstockfair.com or 860- 928-3246. SOURCES: Connecticut Place Names; The Hartford Courant; woodstockfair.com ;townofwoodstock.com
Copyright © 2018, CT Now