CT Now

South Windsor

By TINA BACHETTI | Hartford Courant HOW IT GOT ITS NAME:Originally settled as a part of East Windsor in the mid-1600s, South Windsor was incorporated as a town in May 1845. FIRST AMERICAN CIGAR:Tobacco was brought north from Virginia in 1640, and by the 18th century, the crop dominated the Windsor area.Tobacco leaves were originally exported before being rolled, but in 1801, a Main Street resident known as Mrs. Prout, the wife of a farmer, rolled the first American cigar. Mrs. Prout's "gentleman's cigar" was made of broadleaf and sold for 5 cents. She soon recruited other farmers wives to help roll and sell her cigars, which became known as Windsor particulars or long nines. NOTABLE RESIDENTS:Jonathan Fitch, who invented the steam boat in 1785; Eli Terry, the famous clockmaker; Alex Grossi, guitarist for heavy metal band Quiet Riot; Marcus Camby, NBA basketball player; and Oliver Wolcott, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. SOURCES: Connecticut Place Names; Hartford Courant; Pennsylvania Dept. of Agriculture; southwindsor.orgTony Bacewicz
76°