The Travel Show is NEXT WEEK! Incredible giveaways, show only deals, kid’s activities, food and beverage sampling, and so much more!

North Stonington

By TINA LENDER | Hartford Courant HOW IT GOT ITS NAME: Originally part of Stonington, which was named for its stony hillside, the area was called Mashentuxet by the Indians. The town was incorporated in 1807. A town meeting at the time voted for the name to be changed to Jefferson, but the General Assembly denied the change. HISTORIC DISTRICT: The North Stonington Village Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. The district ? a "well-preserved example of an early 19th century mill village once common in Southern New England," according to government documents features 58 structures built mostly in the late 1700s and early 1800s. The oldest building in the district is the hip-roofed, Georgian-style William Sisson House, built in 1776. AGRICULTURAL FAIR: The North Stonington Agricultural Fair celebrated its 48th anniversary in 2012. SOURCES: Connecticut Place Names; National Register of Historic Places; Hartford Courant
Brad Horrigan
Copyright © 2018, CT Now