July 17, 2014
By ROSA CICCIO | Hartford Courant
HOW IT GOT ITS NAME: After Marlborough, Mass., where the family of David Bigelow, the town's largest taxpayer at the time, came from.
ORIGINS: Settled in the early 1700s by residents from the neighboring towns of Colchester, Hebron and Glastonbury. On May 15, 1736, a petition was presented to the General Assembly for a separate place of worship in what was to become the town. Marlborough was incorporated in 1803 from land taken from the three surrounding towns.
REST FOR THE WEARY: The town's location at the crossroads of two well-traveled routes made it a popular place for travelers to stop for rest and refreshments during colonial times. The Monhege Trail was a popular route from Hartford to New London, and Route 66 was a cart path used by farmers to bring their crops to Middletown and the Connecticut River. Sadler's Ordinary, a tavern established in the area in 1653, played an important part in the early settlement of eastern Connecticut.
LEGAL PIONEER: Town native Mary Hall made history in 1882 when she became the first woman in Connecticut to be permitted to practice law. Although she passed the bar exam, the Hartford County Bar Association still requested a court's decision before admitting her. The case, In Re Hall, was the first judicial decision in the country allowing women to practice. Hall would also become the state's first female notary in 1884 and a founding member of the Hartford Woman Suffrage Club. She spent much of her career advancing women's rights.
SOURCES: The Hartford Courant; marlborughct.net; cwhf.org; Connecticut Place Names; CT State Register and Manual