July 17, 2014
By TINA LENDER | Hartford Courant
HOW IT GOT ITS NAME: When the western portion of the state was divided between Hartford and Windsor in the 18th century by the General Assembly, the town's area was given to Hartford. The town was incorporated as New Hartford in 1738.
GILLETTE'S GRIST MILL: Owned by Joseph Gillette (1778-1857), the grist mill used power from the Nepaug River to grind flour and meal for local farmers. At the peak of manufacturing on the river, the Nepaug supported several small factories, a sawmill and a clock shop. Production at the Gillette mill dropped in the mid-19th century as the flour market became more regionalized. The grist mill property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The remains of a wooden water wheel are still in the two-story, barn-like structure, which is privately owned.
SKI SUNDOWN: Originally named Satan's Ridge, the ski area opened in Jan. 1964, with a 2,000-foot double chair lift and three slopes. The operation closed after only a few years and was reopened as Ski Sundown in 1970.
SOURCES: Hartford Courant; Connecticut Place Names; CT Trust For Historic Preservation; National Register of Historic Places