Pictures: Classic G. Fox & Co.
Opened in 1847, Hartford's G. Fox & Co. expanded to become America's largest privately-owned department store by the 1950s. G. Fox & Co. operated out of an 11-story building on Main Street when it closed in 1993. G. Fox was known for the philosophy that it was better to lose a sale than lose their customers' trust.
Image 1 of 67
G. Fox Building In Hartford
G. Fox & Co. Department Store building, Main St. Hartford before the 1917 fire.