Saw this email from the Connecticut Audubon Society and thought: what a great family project! Read on and let us know if you participate! Click here for more information.
Enter the Great Connecticut Audubon Society Snowy Owl Observation Contest!
This has been an incredible winter for Snowy Owl sightings in our area.
Now Connecticut Audubon Society is looking to you to help us celebrate and raise awareness of these beautiful birds.
Enter our Snowy Owl Observation Contest by sharing your experience with us, and you could win $300!
Here's how to enter:
Submit a photo, video, or written piece about your experience. Bonus points will be given for creativity! At the end of the season, we will pick a $300 grand prize winner and two $100 honorable mentions.
Just post your submission to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram using the
When you use #CTSnowyOwl, your post will automatically be published on our website, www.ctaudubon.org/2014/01/ct-snowy-owl/
Here are some Tips & Guidelines:
- Use the #CtSnowyOwl hashtag
- Don't forget to include where and when you saw the bird.
- If you're submitting via Facebook, your own page's privacy settings might prevent the #CtSnowyOwl hashtag from working; try either of our pages instead, here or here.
- If you're submitting a photo, don't limit yourself to close-ups: a shot of a landscape with a Snowy Owl in the distance would be great too! The photo above would be a perfect entry. Anthony Zemba, our director of conservation services, took it in December at Stratford Point.
- If you haven't seen a Snowy yet, it's not too late. Snowies have been seen across our shoreline, including at our Milford Point Coastal Center; the beaches and marshes in Stratford; Long Wharf in New Haven; and Great Island in Old Lyme.
- It is very important that you take photos from afar, to avoid disturbing the birds. The best locations are often where you see other birders gathering to observe.
- If you're not a social media user, you can email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will post your submission for you.
Thank you, and good luck! Remember: #CTSnowyOwl!
Sorry, Connecticut Audubon employees, Board members and their families aren't eligible to win (but we hope they'll enter anyway). Winners will be chosen at staff discretion. Contest winner decisions are final.