Russian film and TV studio Glavkino has revealed its first film production slate, and its plan for a $100 million expansion of its studio facilities.
Glavkino CEO Ilya Bachurin presented the latest developments for the company, which was set up in March 2012 by Bachurin and filmmaker Fedor Bondarchuk, at a Cannes presser on Saturday.
WWI," an anthology of five stories about the horrors of war. The first three are set to shoot later this year, and "WWI," which was produced by Bondarchuk, Igor Ugolnikov and Bachurin, is in post.
Bykov's "The Major" screens in Critics' Week, while Igumentseva's feature debut "Bite the Dust" is a Cannes Special Screening. Igumentseva's short "The Road To" won the Cannes Cinefondation prize last year. Buslov scored local box-office hits with "Boomer," sequel "Boomer 2" and biopic "Vysotsky."
"Our first production slate illustrates our ambition to produce films of national importance and to support up-and-coming Russian filmmakers," Bachurin said.
"We want to help create the conditions for the growth of the film industry and to achieve this, it is essential that we attract bigger international projects, and strategic partners and investors to Russia."
Glavkino's production facilities complex, which comprises 12 stages occupying 9,000 sq. m., will be given additional stages, and will expand its technical facilities and services. The studio opened last year following four years of development, and backed by $100 million of private investment. The second phase of development will see a further $100 million pumped into it.
Bondarchuk was meeting with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev on Saturday to discuss Glavkino's plans for investing further in the local film industry, Bachurin said.