The toll of the dead and missing in the Sept. 11 terror attacks lurched horribly upward Thursday, rising to more than 6,700.

In that number, see the face of Colleen Fraser, the face of William Fallon, the face of Wendy Faulkner.

Wendy Faulkner

For more than a year, one of Wendy Faulkner's closest friends tried to get her to come work for her. But Faulkner resisted. She didn't want to uproot a happy life in Ohio with her husband and two girls.

Yet nine months ago, her friend had an offer Faulkner couldn't refuse. She took a job as a vice president in information systems for Aon Risk Services in Chicago.

Since December, Faulkner had been commuting from her Mason, Ohio, home to Chicago, flying home for long weekends. That was about to end, as her family was negotiating on a house in Naperville and planned to be together soon.

All of that changed when Faulkner, 47, came to New York for a business meeting on the 104th floor of the south tower of the World Trade Center Sept. 11. Her husband, Lynn Faulkner, hasn't heard from her since.

Years ago, Wendy Faulkner started collecting names from her missionary parents of families in poverty-stricken countries. She would then fill up boxes of clothing and goods and send them off to those families.

After learning of Wendy's death, one of the families who had received her boxes for years sent Faulkner's husband an e-mail, saying that the children would miss "Auntie Wendy's" boxes.

The message nudged a grieving Lynn Faulkner into action. "We just cannot let the final chapter of Wendy Faulkner's life be the fact that she was murdered," he said.

For that reason, Lynn Faulkner is establishing the Wendy Faulkner Memorial Children's Foundation.

Colleen Fraser

Born with a form of dwarfism, Colleen Fraser stood less than 4 feet tall. She walked with a cane, which she would shake wildly to make a point. Often that point was making the world friendlier to people with disabilities. Fraser clearly had a flair for it.

"She was a firebrand," said longtime friend Ethan Ellis, executive director of the New Jersey Developmental Disabilities Council.

Fraser, 51, of Elizabeth, N.J., was vice chair of the council and served in other organizations for the disabled.

She was aboard United Airlines Flight 93, which crashed in Pennsylvania.

In 1989, when she heard that New Jersey's U.S. senators were undecided about supporting the Americans with Disabilities Act, she loaded about a dozen disabled individuals aboard a bus and rode to both senators' offices to get their support.

Fraser fashioned her flaming red hair into spikes like a punk rocker and wore numerous earrings. She wore open-toed sandals with orthopedic lifts. She liked gothic novels and horror movies. She was a wood carver and loved to bake.

She was also a passionate and tireless advocate. In fact, Fraser was flying to a grant-writing seminar when she died.