E-mail this image
Macaroni and cheese
2 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
2 3/4 cups grated extra-sharp raw goat's milk Cheddar
1 1/4 cups shredded Fontina
2 cups grated Gruyere
1/2 pound large pasta shells
1 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs or panko
1. Heat the broiler or oven to 350 degrees. Heat the milk to just below boiling; set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan. When it starts to bubble, whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute to make a roux. Slowly pour the heated milk into the roux, whisking constantly over medium-low heat, and cook until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the salt, pepper, allspice, nutmeg and cayenne. Stir in the grated Cheddar, Fontina and Gruyere over low heat until the cheeses melt, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Cook the pasta in rapidly boiling salted water slightly less than you normally would, 10 minutes. Stir the pasta into the sauce and divide evenly among 6 buttered ramekins.
5. Divide the bread crumbs evenly among the ramekins and scatter over top. Brown the bread crumbs under the broiler 1 to 2 minutes or in the oven, about 30 to 35 minutes.