Celebrate July Fourth with all-American cookout
Time for some good old fashioned red, white and barbecue
There's no better way to celebrate July Fourth than with an all-American cookout. We offer a delicious menu, drinks and activities to get you started. (Gary Moss/Disney FamilyFun magazine/MCT)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup coconut milk
3 pounds chicken wings
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the first seven ingredients, then whisk in the coconut milk. Reserve and refrigerate 1/2 cup of the mixture divided evenly in two containers.
2. Cut off the tips of the wings (reserve Red, White, and Barbecue! them for stock or discard), then halve the wings at the joint. Place them in the bowl and toss them with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least an hour, but preferably overnight.
3. Just before grilling the wings, toast the coconut in a medium-size skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Pour the flakes onto a plate and allow them to cool, then lightly crumble the flakes with your fingers and set them aside.
4. Prepare the grill for cooking and oil the grates. Grill the wings 8 to 10 minutes per side, turning once, or until the meat is no longer pink inside. Use one container of the reserved marinade to baste the meat at each turn.
5. As the wings finish cooking, warm the other container of reserved marinade in a small saucepan until heated through.
6. Transfer the cooked wings to a platter and coat them with the warmed marinade. Sprinkle the wings with the toasted coconut and serve them immediately.
Serves 6 as a main dish or 12 as an appetizer.
GRILLED PACKET POTATOES
Versatile and delicious, this grill-top recipe created by Judith Fertig is about as easy as they come. Almost as satisfying as the taste is the fact that the dish requires no cleanup.
8 red or russet potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
8 green onions, chopped with some of the green, plus more for garnish
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons olive oil