THREE STARS Roburt Sallie, Memphis. Sallie, above, drilled 10 3-pointers and scored 35 points in an 81-70 win over Cal State Northridge. His previous high was 13 points.
A.J. Abrams, Texas. The Longhorn had nine field goals, including eight treys, and scored 26 in a win over Minnesota.
Marcus Thornton, LSU. Thornton had 30 points, six rebounds and four assists in a win against Butler.
STORYLINES Survive and advance. Phew, Memphis and Villanova (coached by Jay Wright, above). After trailing much of the night, a 2 and 3 seed move on — barely.
Ho-hum day. In a tournament that almost always has a couple of shockers early, there were no stunners Thursday.
THREE NUMBERS 56 The margin of victory for Jeff Adrien, above, and UConn against Chattanooga (103-47), the third largest in tournament history.
2,789 The career point total for North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough, which is an ACC record. J.J. Redick held the old mark (2,769).
10 The lowest seed — Maryland — to advance to the second round as of press time on Thursday. The Terps upended California.
TODAY'S SCHEDULE East Region At Dayton, Ohio
(8) Oklahoma State vs. (9) Tennessee, 12:25 p.m.
(1) Pittsburgh vs. (16) East Tenn. State, 30 minutes following
At Boise, Idaho
(4) Xavier vs. (13) Portland State, 7:25 p.m.
(5) Florida St. vs. (12) Wisconsin, 30 minutes following
South Region At Miami
(3) Syracuse vs. (14) Stephen F. Austin, 12:15 p.m.
(6) Arizona State vs. (11) Temple, 30 minutes following
Midwest Region At Minneapolis
(3) Kansas vs. (14) North Dakota State, 12:30 p.m.
(6) West Virginia vs (11) Dayton, 30 minutes following
(7) Boston College vs. (10) Southern California, 7:20 p.m.
(2) Michigan State vs. (15) Robert Morris, 30 minutes following
West Region At Boise
(6) Marquette vs. (11) Utah State, 12:30 p.m.
(3) Missouri vs. (14) Cornell, 30 minutes following
THREE STARS STORYLINES THREE NUMBERS TODAY'S SCHEDULE