The limited-edition Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jars commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Ball brothers’ Perfect Mason Jar, according to a company news release.
Created in 1913 in Muncie, IN, the Perfect Mason jar revolutionized the home canning process providing canners with matching jars and lids sold as a single unit.
The Ball Heritage Collection Pint Jars feature a vintage-inspired blue tint and period correct embossed logo.
They are BPA-free and 100 percent made in America. They come in the heritage blue color and feature a custom-embossed front and back. Regular mouth lids are included.
The Heritage Collection is $9.99 for a case of 6 jars and is sold online at www.freshpreservingstore.com as well as in retailers such as Target and other stores that sell canning supplies.
The jars are ideal for making jams and jellies, as well as canning fresh produce for wintertime enjoyment and good health.
Here is a link to a blueberry jam recipe: http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=250
Here is a traditional water bath canning strawberry jam recipe: http://www.freshpreserving.com/strawberry-jam.aspx
Your local Virginia Cooperative Extension office also offers free literature on canning and making preserves and jams. Here is a link to some of those publications online: http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/category/food-preservation.html
5 CANNING TIPS COURTESY BALL CANNING
1. Use a trusted, USDA-approved recipe such as one in our Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, Ball Blue Book Guide to Home Canning or from our website, www.FreshPreserving.com. This will ensure your recipe will be canned safely and properly.
2. Use only fresh, ripe fruits and vegetables. Old produce may spoil and is not recommended for preserving.
3. Lay out all of your tools and prep all produce before you get started to make the process as simple as possible.
4. If you have a dishwasher, use it to wash and heat the jars all at once.
5. Clean as you go! It will help you stay organized and keep your workstation clean.
6. Grab a friend! Home canning is even more fun when there’s somebody else to join the fun!
Posted by Kathy Van Mullekom; email@example.com
Copyright © 2015, CT Now