Condominiums? An office park? Shopping? A hotel? Theme park? Race track? University? Deed it to Hampton? Keep it for the state? Rebuild the seawall? Leave it as it is?
All have been suggested for Fort Monroe since the Department of Defense put the post on the list of military facilities to be closed in the Base Realignment and Closure process last year. Thursday night at 8, the public can weigh in on the process during "After BRAC: What Now for Fort Monroe?" at the American Theatre in Hampton. Sponsored by the WHRO Center for Regional Citizenship and the Daily Press, the one-hour program will be aired live on WHRO-TV, WHRV 89.5 FM and the Web site WHRO.org.
"We're trying to energize citizens into thoughtful conversation about this important piece of property," said Karla Martin, who will produce the program. "We know that there are questions about the environmental and economic aspects of it."
Questions can be pitched from the floor at the theater or through the Web site.
Answers will come during the second half of the program, after a half-hour introduction that includes an overview and comments from invited guests.
Scheduled to be on the panel are Hampton Mayor Ross Kearney; Hampton City Councilman Charles Sapp; Bob Harper, chairman of the Federal Area Development Authority; Brian DeProfio, assistant to the city manager of Hampton; Daily Press reporter Kimball Payne, who covers Hampton; local resident Steve Corneliussen; John Munick of Drucker and Falk, which is doing a renovation of the Chamberlin Hotel on the post; Joe Bouchard, with the Center for Homeland Security and Defense; and Jay Sweat, project manager for the secretary of defense, who assists communities that are impacted by BRAC.
Cathy Lewis of WHRO will moderate the forum.
"We tried to get (U.S. Rep.) Thelma Drake (R-Norfolk), but she turned us down," said Martin. "We even offered to pre-record a segment with her."