Ultimate Backyard Makeover
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
The Ultimate Backyard Makeover Contest (the "Contest") starts on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 12:01AM EST and ends on or near November 18, 2011 at 4:59PM EST. The sponsor of this Contest is CT1 Media ("Sponsor"). The Contest shall be subject to these Official Rules, and by entering, all entrants agree to abide and be bound by the terms and conditions herein and the decisions of the Sponsor. The computer clock of Sponsors' webmaster is the official timekeeping device of the Contest.
1. TO ENTER: No Purchase Necessary. Entrants must be a US citizen or legal resident residing in Connecticut within the WTIC-TV viewing area during the Contest Period, age 21 or older at the time of entry and a legal homeowner within the relevant geographic area.
To enter, log onto ctnow.com and go to the "Backyard Makeover Contest" page from Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 12:01AM EST through Sunday, October 30, 2011 at 11:59PM EST, (the "Entry Period") to enter the Contest. Submit a photo of your messy yard and write in an essay in 250 words or less about why you should receive a backyard makeover (the "Essay"). Photo must be in either .jpeg or .gif format, and its file size cannot exceed 200 kilobytes. Entrants will have to sign-in to ctnow.com in order to enter (new registrants can sign-up by providing your screen name, password, gender, zip code, birthday, and any other required fields). No fee is required for registration. All entries must be submitted online, and must be received within the Entry Period. All entrants must own and currently reside at the address or location of the photo submitted in his/her entry. Entrants who fail to upload a picture and/or an original essay, or who fail to fully complete the entry form, or who submit incomplete information will be disqualified. Photos that are altered or electronically enhanced in order to substantially misrepresent the entrant, the nominee or the subject matter will not be considered and will be disqualified. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify those entries which Sponsors believe would subject them to a claim or litigation. Photo should contain no recognizable individuals/people beyond the entrant; failure to do so may result in disqualification. By entering this Contest and submitting required entry materials, entrants agree that the Sponsor may collect, use and publish all information and materials in the entry submission, including, without limitation, the photo, the essay and the entrant data (such as name, address, e-mail, phone number, etc.). If selected as the winner, entrant understands and agrees that Sponsor may publish and/or broadcast before and after photos and/or video of the Backyard makeover. ONLY ONE ENTRY PER HOUSEHOLD/ENTRANT DURING THE ENTRY PERIOD WILL BE ACCEPTED.
2. DEADLINE: Entries must be received by Sunday, October 30, 2011 at 11:59PM EST. Entrants must use their own name. If any dispute arises concerning the identity of an entrant, the owner of an email account from which entry was sent shall be deemed the entrant. Except as otherwise required under these rules, entries containing attached files other than the required entry materials described in Section 1 above are not eligible and will be rejected. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, incomplete, damaged, illegible, late, or misdirected entries; or for errors in mechanical transmission, technical difficulties, upload failure, or inability to transmit Internet entries.
3. SELECTION OF FINALISTS: On or about Monday, October 31, 2011, all eligible entries will be judged by a panel of judges comprised of Contest Sponsor representatives based on four criteria: Need (how messy the backyard is), 25%; Creativity of the essay, 25%; Enthusiasm in the essay, 25% and Location/Suitability of the Backyard (how much can the Sponsor do in the time frame and the Contest budget), 25%. The six (6) entrants with the highest scores will be tentatively declared the "Semi-Finalists", subject to eligibility verification and compliance with these rules. Sponsors' will attempt to contact the six Semi-Finalists (via e-mail and/or phone) on Tuesday, November 1, 2011 to schedule a time to visit and scout each Semi-Finalist's backyard for feasibility of the proposed renovation. If the proposed Semi-Finalist does not get in contact with Sponsors or schedule a visit by Friday, November 4, 2011 at 5:00PM EST, he or she may be disqualified and the entrant with the next highest score may be declared a Semi-Finalist.
The Sponsor judges will then score the six Semi-Finalists on the following criteria; 50% on the criteria of the state of the Backyard and 50% on potential marketing and/or entertainment value. The three Semi-Finalist with highest the total scores under this criteria will be tentatively declared the "Finalists", subject to eligibility verification and compliance with these rules. Sponsors' may alter the judging process in any way at their sole discretion, and entrants agree to abide by decisions of the judges and Sponsors, which are final in all respects.
4. FINALIST NOTIFICATION: On or about Monday, November 14, 2011, Sponsor will notify the three finalists by telephone and/or e-mail. If a selected winner is not eligible, declines, or cannot be contacted within a reasonable period of time following initial notification, the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to the entrant with the next highest score. ***Do to the winter storm in Connecticut we are pushing our voting phase back one week. Stay tuned***
5. SELECTION OF WINNER: Once the three finalists have been determined and announced, Sponsor will post the Finalist photo and essay submissions for each of the three finalists on www.ctnow.com/backyard from Tuesday, November 15, 2011 at 12:01AM EST until Sunday, November 27, 2011 at 11:59PM EST (the "Voting Period"). During this time, Contest Sponsor will invite viewers and website users to visit the Contest Website and vote for their favorite Finalist (which one you think needs a backyard makeover). Only 10 votes per valid e-mail address, per day will be accepted. All voters must be located in the United States at the time they cast their vote. Proxy voting is not allowed. This includes but is not limited to creating multiple or dummy emails. No one may purchase votes. The use of automated or third party software or web site to vote is prohibited. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any votes cast it believes in its reasonable discretion are in violation of the above restrictions.
The Finalist who receives the most votes during the Voting Period will be deemed the potential Winner, subject to eligibility verification and compliance with these rules. Winner will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility/release of liability, a W9, and any other necessary forms form by Friday, December 2, 2011. Sponsor reserves the right to only post the essays or pictures. Votes that Sponsor in its discretion believes contain copies or other mechanical reproductions, facsimiles, technical or electronic reproductions, or containing attached files are not eligible and will be rejected. ALL VOTES MUST BE VALID AND SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEND OUT A TEST E-MAIL TO VERIFY VOTES. IF SPONSORS RECEIVE A BOUNCEBACK MESSAGE THAT SAYS E-MAIL ADDRESS NOT FOUND, THAT VOTE WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Winner will receive a 1099 tax form reflecting the actual value of any prize that is $600 or more.
6. AWARDING & DELIVERY OF PRIZES: AWARDING & DELIVERY OF PRIZES: Grand Prize will include, a Home Backyard makeover consisting of Landscaping design and general contracting, labor, mulch, stones, flowers, a patio, and a 10x12 vinyl sided shed. Total Approximate value of the prize is $20,000. Prize components may be substituted and updated at Sponsors' sole discretion and prize value may vary depending on the actual design and contracting packages provided. Please check www.ctnow.com/backyard-makeover-rules for any and all updates. BE AWARE THAT TAXES ON THE PRIZE WILL, IN ALL LIKELIHOOD, BE SUBSTANTIAL. DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO PAY TAXES ON THE PRIZE. Please check www.ctnow.com/backyard-makeover-rules for any and all updates. Backyard transformation will take place on or about the week of April 16, 2012. Sponsor may change any and all dates in their sole discretion. Winner's backyard makeover will be videotaped/recorded for possible airing during the FOX Connecticut News (the exact date and time for which shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion). The Grand Prize Winner is responsible for timely obtaining all permits or other permissions required as a condition of executing any aspect of, or redeeming any prize (such as for building the shed). Properly claimed prize will be awarded, but in no event will Sponsor award more prizes than are provided for in these Official Rules. Prize elements are non-transferable, non-negotiable and not redeemable for cash, credit or merchandise. Prize elements may change at Sponsor's sole discretion. If the Contest is cancelled, no substitute prizes are available except at Sponsors' sole discretion. All decisions regarding interpretation of these Official Rules and administration of the Contest made by Sponsor are final and binding. The actual value of certain of the prize elements may vary depending on Winner's preference. Therefore, the actual value of the prize awarded may be lower or higher at the time it is fulfilled. Any difference between actual value and stated ARV will not be awarded.
7. ELIGIBILITY: Contest is not open to employees of other media outlets within the WTIC-TV and WCCT-TV viewing areas, to employees of Sponsor or their immediate family members, or to employees (or their immediate family members), of any of Sponsor's contractors, prize providers, parent companies, affiliates, licensees, advertising or promotional agencies or any other company affiliated with this Contest. Immediate family members of contractors or prize providers are not eligible to win. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Winners who have won a prize from a promotion sponsored by CT1 Media within the last six (6) months are ineligible and will be disqualified.
8. CONDITIONS OF ENTRY:
a. By entering, each entrant confirms that he/she is the owner of the copyright, trademarks and intellectual rights in the submitted photo and essay. Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, disqualify and decline to publish any Photo or Essay submissions that it reasonably believes are not the entrants' own original creations, have already been published, violate the rights of any other person or entity (including but not limited to copyrights), contain offensive, defamatory, vulgar or profane content, or contain fraudulent or false information. By entering, entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor, its parent companies and affiliates, and each of their employees, representatives, contractors, Sponsor and advertisers, from any and all liability, loss, damage, costs or claims related to the publication of submitted photos and entry information.
b. By entering, each entrant grants permission, without further compensation, to Sponsor, Hartford Courant, WTIC-TV/WCCT-TV, Tribune Television Company, and their agents and licensees, to use the entrant's name, voice, photograph, likeness and biographical material, including name, state, and city of residence, and all information submitted in his/her entry, for promotional purposes in any media, in connection with the Contest. By entering, each entrant agrees that if selected as a Winner, he/she may be required to sign a release and waiver of liability. The prize may be forfeited and awarded to another entrant (selected in accordance with the winner selection criteria described in these rules) if a Winner does not execute the prepared form of release and waiver within the stated timeframe of the Contest, or if a selected Winner is not eligible in accordance with these rules. By entering, entrants agree to release Contest Sponsor' from any claim, loss, liability, damage or injury of any kind arising from their participation in the Contest of their receipt or use of the Contest prize. This Contest shall be governed and enforced pursuant to Connecticut law, excluding choice of law provisions.
c. Sponsor is not responsible for changes made to the Prize being awarded, including any delay, cancellation or postponement of the Prize events, and is under no obligation to provide a substitute prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing or advertising of the offer, administration or execution of the contest or in the announcements of the prizes/prize winners.
Neither the failure of Sponsor to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Official Rules or the failure, delay or omission by Sponsor in exercising any right with respect to any term of these Official Rules, will be construed as a waiver or relinquishment to any extent of each Sponsor's right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance.
By participating in these Contest, you also agree to have your name, biographical information, and likeness used in any and all media for promotional purposes relating to this Contest or future similar contests without further compensation or notice, except as prohibited by law.
Neither the failure of Sponsor to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Official Rules nor the failure, delay or omission by Sponsor in exercising any right with respect to any term of these Official Rules, will be construed as a waiver or relinquishment to any extent of Sponsor's right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance.
SUCH PRIZE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND THE RELEASED PARTIES HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
9. RESPONSIBILITY RELEASE: By entering, you agree to release, waive, and hold harmless Sponsor and their affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, prize providers, advertising and promotional agencies, and all of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents from and against any and all claims, losses, damages, and liability arising from injuries, damages, costs, or expenses of any kind (including without limitation attorney's fees) incurred as a result of the contestants' participation in this Contest and/or their acceptance, use, or misuse of the Prize. Entrants also agree to participate in all activities to publicize the Contest. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules, and by entering, agree that all decisions regarding eligibility, the administration of this Giveaway, and the award of the Prize made by the Sponsors shall be final and binding.
10. INTERNET: If for any reason, the Internet-related portion of this Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, tampering, fraud, technical failure, or any other cause which corrupts or threatens the administration, security or integrity of the Contest, WTIC-TV/WCCT-TV, Hartford Courant, and Tribune Television Company reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to terminate or suspend the Contest or any portion of the Contest. ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE FAIR AND LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM THE CONTEST.
In the event this Contest is cancelled during the Entry Period, the judges panel will select three Finalists applying the criteria set forth above to all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. In the event this Contest is cancelled during the voting for the "Winner", the "Winner" with the most valid, non-suspect votes received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. If such cancellation, termination, modification, or suspension occurs, notification will be posted on the Contest websites.
11. FOR A COPY OF THE RULES: Write to, "Ultimate Backyard Makeover Contest Rules"; FOXCT, 285 Broad Street, Hartford, CT 06115 (Attn: Marketing). For Winner's name write to, "Ultimate Backyard Makeover Contest Winner"; FOXCT, 285 Broad Street, Hartford, CT 06115. All requests for rules and Winners' lists must be received by Friday, November 25, 2011.
12. SPONSOR: CT1 Media, 285 Broad Street, Hartford, CT 06115.