Tribune file photo
Despite my love of slow food, my frantic weekday schedule requires that I get it fast. Luckily I've latched on to a few tricks designed to deliver good food without the wait.
• Make big portions of slow-cooking staples on Sunday for the rest of the week: Steel-cut oatmeal, brown rice, long braised stews and pots of beans are a must around my house.
• Keep your favorite takeout menus in your glove compartment and your work bag. If online menus don't show up well on your wireless device, e-mail yourself notes with restaurant phone numbers and your fave dishes.
• Bring your own reusable flat-bottomed bag to avoid time-wasting spill cleaning.
• If you have small kids in the car, consider curbside pick-up. Get your dinner delivered to your car window from Ruby Tuesday, Cheesecake Factory, Outback Steakhouse and Uno Chicago Grill.
• Pick up a roasted chicken from your grocery store or deli and break up the leftover chicken for tomorrow's chicken salad lunches.
--Monica Eng, Tribune Newspapers