Paul is not dead.
The last time I wrote that sentence, it was 1969 and we were discussing the Beatles. Today, the subject of the Paul-is-dead rumor, which first appeared on the Internet on Sunday, is legendary French chef Paul Bocuse.
Word appeared on the website necropedia.com, which posts "anticipated obituaries" of famous people (you can find obits for Gwen Stefani and Kevin Spacey, among the dozens of other famous people who have yet to pass on), and it fooled just enough people that there were lots of muted rest-in-peace sentiments posted on Facebook and Twitter.
One of those fooled, albeit briefly, was Naha chef/owner Carrie Nahabedian, and the news made her quite sad.
"He ate here twice," Nahabedian said, "and when he learned my father had been part of the liberation of Paris, he wrote my father such a beautiful letter, and my dad has it hanging in a frame. I was so glad to hear he was alive and well, because I was thinking how to tell my father."
The rumor was first shot down by British food writer Elizabeth Auerbach (@ElizabethOnFood), who tweeted, "Paul Bocuse is alive and well, I've spoken with the restaurant" early Monday morning.
"Why would somebody spread that?" Nahabedian said. "It's just so nasty; it makes you hate the Internet more."
Jean Banchet, founder and chef of the legendary restaurant Le Francais, also confirmed that the rumor was untrue.
"I just called the restaurant, and I know he's not (dead)," Banchet said. "In fact, he's coming to Florida for a visit. (Banchet's son, Jerome, runs Bocuse's restaurants in Walt Disney World's Epcot Center.) This is ridiculous."Copyright © 2015, CT Now