Tribune photo by John Smierciak
July 27, 1999
Located in unincorporated, south suburban Cook County, this one-room schoolhouse went through interior renovations, converting it into rental space for commercial use, but has maintained its historic character on the exterior. The school was built with rusticated concrete block walls, a two-columned entrance portico and a school bell housed in a cupola.
The front of the building is marked 1910 and the door lintel is carved "School District 134." The land upon which the school was built had been bought from William Yunker, a local farmer. The school closed in 1957 after consolidation with School District 135 and was used for storage until the current owner purchased it in 1987.