A car in an underground garage caught fire this morning and sent smoke into the ventilation system of the apartment building above, according to authorities.
The fire broke out around 3 a.m. in the 900 block of North Lake Shore Drive. It was not clear what started the fire. A child suffered minor injuries and was taken to a hospital in good-to-fair condition, fire officials said.
An extra alarm was called after the fire was extinguished because the basement lacks ventilation and the extra firefighters were needed to check the building, officials said.
"They had a lot of smoke. It was coming up through the vents and they're getting it out now," Fire Chief Verdi Allen said. "Just filled the whole places up with smoke."
The fire was out by about 3:30 a.m. and didn't extend to the building, police said.
By about 4:15 a.m., the extra alarm was struck out and the ambulances called to the scene for an emergency medical services Plan 1 were returned, Allen said.Copyright © 2015, CT Now