A University of Chicago student found dead in his dorm room in February died of alcohol poisoning, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.
Autopsy results indicate the death of Nicholas Barnes, 20, was accidental, the office said.
Barnes' decomposing body was found Feb. 15 in his single room at the campus' International House, 1414 E. 59th St. His body was found face down on the floor, according to a police report.
It's not known when Barnes died, but it had been eight days since he had last used his university key card to enter the residence hall, officials said.
Barnes grew up in Pittsburgh, Pa., and was a third-year student majoring in Germanic studies, the university said. He studied abroad in the school's Vienna program in the fall quarter of 2012. He was also involved with the school's literary publication Sliced Bread.
When his body was discovered, students on campus said they were disturbed by the possibility that no one had seen or talked to Barnes in several days.
"It's just strange," said Neal Jochmann, 19, a freshman from Tennessee. "How the hell was he there that long? That's frightening."
University officials said students don't always need to use their key cards when entering or exiting the building depending on the time of day, suggesting that Barnes could have last entered the building after Feb. 7.Copyright © 2015, CT Now