Carroll County officials said Tuesday the county will pay a $1 million penalty to get out of a deal to build a waste-to-energy incinerator with Frederick County.
In 2009, the previous Board of County Commissioners signed a pact with Frederick County and the Northeast Maryland Waste Disposal Authority to build an incinerator in Frederick capable of handling 1,500 tons of waste a day.
The current commissioner board decided in 2012 they wanted out of the deal, citing concerns with the cost of building the incinerator and hauling costs.
The commissioners said the $1 million penalty was a bit of a deal — the 2009 contract included reimbursement of up to $3 million if either Carroll or Frederick counties withdrew from the project. County officials said they've been negotiating to exit at a lower cost. Under the terms, Carroll will pay the $1 million for development costs to date, officials said in a release.
Carroll officials said they expect the remaining partners to move forward with the project and seek another jurisdiction to replace Carroll County. Last month the Maryland Department of the Environment issued permits for the project.
Baltimore Sun Media Group reporter Blair Ames contributed to this story.Copyright © 2015, CT Now