The Tea Party — however you define it — is a favorite punching bag of the left. But recently the verbal attacks haven’t just been about policy, or even personalities. They’ve been downright craaazy.
Democrats have begun calling those in the grass roots conservative effort barbarians, terrorists, racists and, most recently, profanely insulting their moms and threatening to personally send them to hell.
I get that there’s a bit of hyperbole in these political statements. When Sarah Palin tells followers “don’t retreat, reload,” she doesn’t actually mean for conservatives to pick up guns and shoot liberals. At least we hope not.
The same is true with these statements from Democrats — again, we hope — but there’s no denying the rhetoric has gotten a bit more hostile during the debate over this nation’s fiscal future.
Here are the five angriest recent quotes about the tea party:
5) Vice President Joe Biden: “You are the only folks keeping the barbarians from the gates.”
4) Rep. Mike Doyle (D-Pa.): “We have negotiated with terrorists. This small group of terrorists have made it impossible to spend any money.”
3) Teamsters union boss James Hoffa: “If we go back, and we keep the eye on the prize, let’s take these son of a bitches out and give America back to an America where we belong.”
2) Rep. Andre Carson (D., Indiana): “Some of them in Congress right now with this Tea Party movement would love to see you and me ... hanging on a tree.”
1) Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.): “As far as I’m concerned, the ‘tea party’ can go straight to hell. ... And I intend to help them get there.”
This is not to say that it’s impossible that some of these above comments might be true. Some in the tea party might be racist. Some might be terrorists; some barbarians. But, mostly, if photos tell us anything, the Tea Partiers look like people attending a 4th of July parade.
Whatever the tea party is, or isn’t, it’s best to remember this small piece of advice: When you start threatening to personally send someone — anyone — to hell, you sound just a little bit ridiculous.Copyright © 2015, CT Now