The Ravens likely won't pick until late this evening in the NFL draft. Given the team's penchant for trading back, it could be an even later night. So maybe it's best to wait until the evening to brew up something strong and read this Coffee Companion, which runs every morning, Monday through Friday, and recaps all the local sports headlines.
- Matt Wieters’ meeting with Dr. James Andrews yesterday came back clean enough that the star catcher won’t need surgery. He was out of the lineup Wednesday, and the Mayor of Bowie Caleb Joseph made his major league debut in Wieters’ place. Tommy Hunter again raised the degree of difficulty to 11 before notching the save in the Orioles 4-3 win.
- The Orioles will be wearing throwback uniforms of the Baltimore Elite Giants of the Negro Leagues on May 30 in Houston as part of MLB’s Civil Rights Game.
- Former Terps assistant football coach James Franklin, now the Penn State coach, told supporters in Baltimore that he considered Maryland in-state recruiting and said teams like the Terps don’t have a chance.
- The Maryland Democratic debate between gubernatorial candidates temporarily veered into the inane when the candidates were asked about the Washington Redskins’ name.
- The Wizards were a foregone conclusion to win the NBA Finals after a Game 1 victory over Indiana, but the Pacers and center Roy Hibbert declared reports of their demise premature in a four-point Game 2 win. The Thunder also pulled even with the Clippers.
- In NHL action, the Penguins 4-2 win at Madison Square Garden gave them a 3-1 lead over the Rangers and likely ensured another conference finals trip for Pittsburgh.Copyright © 2015, CT Now