This charred piece of carved stone is a relic of the Sun Iron Building, one of more than 1,500 structures that went up in flames as fire destroyed some 140 acres of downtown Baltimore on Feb. 7-8, 1904. More than 1,200 firefighters from all over Maryland and adjoining states fought the blaze, which started in the basement of the John Hurst and Company building on German Street (part of the 1st Mariner Arena now occupies the site). In the wake of the destruction, attempts were made to standardize fire codes and firefighting equipment throughout the United States.
Amy Davis/Baltimore Sun
Copyright © 2017, CT Now