E-mail this image
Christie Kelley; moved to Severna Park (originally from upstate New York)
• Describe your latest book My December release, "Bewitching the Duke," is the first book in a new series. The series revolves around three wise women or healers who each find healing a man's heart is much more difficult than healing a body.
• Why write? What makes writing a book worthwhile? I have always loved to tell stories. The whole process from that initial idea that gets your brain thinking in crazy ways to the sigh of relief when you finally type "The End" is a thrilling ride. But what makes it the most worthwhile is when you receive an email from someone who you have never met and they tell you how they couldn't put your book down or how your simple romance helped them get through a difficult time in their life.
• How has growing up and/or living in the Baltimore area influenced your writing? I'm originally from upstate New York but moved to Severna Park in 1999. Before moving here, I had never heard of Romance Writers of America or the Maryland Romance Writers. Joining both groups changed my life forever. I wasn't sure I could actually write a book much less get one published. Moving to the Baltimore area introduced me to this fantastic writing group and I couldn't be more thankful.
• Is the written word in trouble? Are authors an endangered breed? I don't believe the written word is in trouble. But the markets are definitely changing. My next three books are only going to be in ebook formats. This is something new my publisher is trying because my sales were so much better in ebook than in print. Authors are definitely not an endangered breed. The new ebook publishing models have given more authors the ability to put their own books out on Kindle or Nook. This new paradigm is allowing authors whose stories might be a little different to get their books in front of people.
• What's your next project? I am currently working on my next two books on this contract. Both books are also Regency historicals based around wise women.
September 25, 2012