POSITION: VP/General Manager
REPORTS TO: President, Broadcast Media
ROLE: GActs as General Manager of WTIC/WCCT – TV responsible for the strategic and operational leadership of the stations to ensure financial goals are met and to establish long-range goals and strategies that will result in the growth and long-term viability of the Company. Responsible for oversight of FOX/CW duopoly and associated digital subchannels, Antenna TV and THIS TV. Responsible for activities of all major station departments including: Sales, Engineering, Traffic, Research, Programming, Production, News, Finance, Human Resources and Creative Services.
- Develop and execute the stations operating plan and strategic plan, consistent with Tribune Broadcasting financial and operating guidelines.
- Oversee all operations and policies consistent with FCC regulations and federal/state/local practices, including required Public File and response to community/audience concerns. Provide content oversight consistent with industry practices.
- Provide for recruitment, management and development of leadership team and competent staff, organized to optimize individual and team capabilities, within an environment that demonstrates strong leadership and opportunities for advancement.
- Provide system of controls to ensure that financial management, operating budgets, capital spending plans and other financial systems are within company guidelines and objectives.
- Develop, identify and execute new business, revenue and community opportunities to provide for the growth and development of the Company. Cultivate relationships with major advertisers and community leaders to represent the station in the local market.
- Make regular reports to President, Broadcast Media; President and Chief Executive Officer and to Tribune Broadcasting executives on matters requiring their action.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, broadcast/entertainment/communications or a related field and have equivalent related experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the television industry and the role and jurisdiction of the Federal Communications Commission.
- Ability to strategically plan all the operations of the Station, including cross-platform, multicast, web and mobile lines of business. Must understand audience demographics, ratings and measurement methodology and forecasting of future trends.
- Management skills necessary to manage diverse organization of approximately 200 full-time and part-time employees. Leadership ability to represent company in public for diverse audiences.
- Typically requires 15 or more years of experience in progressively responsible television management positions.
- Authority and responsibility for revenues in excess of $35 million and expenses in excess of $30 million.
- Authority and responsibility for over 200 employees across a wide variety of positions, experience level and responsibilities.
- Authority and responsibility for operations and content of two broadcast channels.