DEPARTMENT: Closed Captioning Center
ROLE: Operate a real-time voice captioning system and associated technical equipment to perform real-time English caption of live programs. Full-time and part-time positions are non-exempt. Tribune Broadcasting’s Closed Captioning Center will be located in Hartford at CT1-Media – home of FOX CT (WTIC – TV), The CT (WCCT – TV), The Hartford Courant, The Hartford Advocate, The New Haven Advocate, Fairfield County Weekly’s and Valumail.
• Multi-task (hear audio, voice what was heard, proof-read developing captions - all simultaneously).
• Utilize a keyboard by typing proper corrections and other words as necessary.
• Maintain Closed Captioning Center quality standards for accuracy and speed.
• Work specified on-call schedule, in addition to regular schedule.
• Ability to sit, hear, talk, use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities include close vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
• Must be punctual, dependable, flexible and possess a team attitude and willingness to adapt to last-minute changes to programming and industry that runs 24/7/365.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or equivalent (Bachelor’s degree preferred)
• Broadcast captioning experience desirable but not required
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Knowledge of Caption Mic or Eclipse Captioning Software highly desirable
• Excellent reading and grammar skills
• Strong voicing skills/voice quality – ability to speak quickly with clear enunciation