REPORTS TO: Closed Captioning Supervisor
ROLE: Operate a real-time voice captioning system and associated technical equipment to perform real-time English caption of live programs. Full-time and part-time positions are non-exempt. Tribune Broadcasting's Closed Captioning Center will be located in Hartford at CT1-Media - home of FOX CT (WTIC - TV), The CT (WCCT - TV), The Hartford Courant, The Hartford Advocate, The New Haven Advocate, Fairfield County Weekly's and Valumail.
- Multi-task (hear audio, voice what was heard, proof-read developing captions - all simultaneously).
- Utilize a keyboard by typing proper corrections and other words as necessary.
- Maintain Closed Captioning Center quality standards for accuracy and speed.
- Work specified on-call schedule, in addition to regular schedule.
- Ability to sit, hear, talk, use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities include close vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
- Must be punctual, dependable, flexible and possess a team attitude and willingness to adapt to last-minute changes to programming and industry that runs 24/7/365.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent (Bachelor's degree preferred)
- Broadcast captioning experience desirable but not required
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Knowledge of Caption Mic or Eclipse Captioning Software highly desirable
- Excellent reading and grammar skills
- Strong voicing skills/voice quality ability to speak quickly with clear enunciation
- Excellent spelling/vocabulary
- Strong memory-recall ability
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while focusing on a high amount of attention to detail
- Calm/relaxed demeanor
- Comfortable and familiar with computers and new technology
- Ability to perform under pressure with changing priorities
- Ability to work flexible shifts (AM, PM, Weekends)
- An organizational chart illustrating the reporting relationships of this position supplied upon request.