POSITION: Captioning Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Closed Captioning Center
REPORTS TO: Closed Captioning Supervisor
ROLE: Operate a real-time voice captioning system and associated technical equipment to perform real-time English caption of live programs. Full-time and part-time positions are non-exempt. Tribune Broadcasting's Closed Captioning Center will be located in Hartford at CT1-Media ---- home of FOX CT (WTIC - TV), The CT (WCCT - TV), The Hartford Courant, The Hartford Advocate, The New Haven Advocate, Fairfield County Weekly's and Valumail.
- Multi-task (hear audio, voice what was heard, proof-read developing captions - all simultaneously).
- Utilize a keyboard by typing proper corrections and other words as necessary.
- Maintain Closed Captioning Center quality standards for accuracy and speed.
- Work specified on-call schedule, in addition to regular schedule.
- Ability to sit, hear, talk, use hands and fingers. Specific vision abilities include close vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
- Must be punctual, dependable, flexible and possess a team attitude and willingness to adapt to last-minute changes to programming and industry that runs 24/7/365.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent (Bachelor's degree preferred)
- Broadcast captioning experience desirable but not required
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Knowledge of Caption Mic or Eclipse Captioning Software highly desirable
- Excellent reading and grammar skills
- Strong voicing skills/voice quality - ability to speak quickly with clear enunciation
- Excellent spelling/vocabulary
- Strong memory-recall ability
- Ability to handle multiple tasks while focusing on a high amount of attention to detail
- Calm/relaxed demeanor
- Comfortable and familiar with computers and new technology
- Ability to perform under pressure with changing priorities
- Ability to work flexible shifts (AM, PM, Weekends)
STATEMENT ABOUT OTHER DUTIES: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, work load, rush jobs, special projects, technological developments, etc.
- An organizational chart illustrating the reporting relationships of this position supplied upon request.