WTIC/WCCT - TV POSITION DESCRIPTION
POSITION: Assistant News Director
REPORTS TO: News Director
ROLE: Responsible for ensuring the creative execution and content focus of all newscasts while working in a state-of-the art, HD, digital first news operation. Oversees the station's daily news programs as assigned and helps implement, on a daily basis, the strategies developed by the news director to improve the news product and to make the station No. 1 in news viewers. May represent the news director as assigned.
- Supervise staff of writer/producers and reporters.
- All script approval including working with reporters on packages and live shot production.
- Review of all on-air graphics
- Help determine story selection and stacking.
- Proactive in implementing creative showcasing ideas for the newscast, including special report treatment.
- Work in conjunction with the news director and on special projects and event coordination.
- Work in conjunction with multi-platform managers and team members on content distribution
- Suggest news stories daily and contribute ideas for sweeps.
- Supervise college intern program.
- Schedule staff as necessary
- Represent station at social and community functions.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in communications or broadcast journalism or equivalent related experience.
- Ability to write clear, compelling broadcast copy.
- Minimum seven years related experience
- Strong organizational and communication skills and a keen attention to detail essential.
- Thorough working knowledge of newsroom computer systems and broadcast production equipment.
- Ability to be a leader in the newsroom and motivate others under deadline pressure.
- 8-hour workday, 5 days a week; may be required to work additional hours or days.
- Work within budget guidelines
- Supervise reporters, anchors and producers
An organizational chart illustrating the reporting relationships of this position supplied upon request.
** Job offers are contingent upon acceptable results of a background check and, for some positions, a drug test **